Postponed - AYRS South West UK meeting - Saturday 4th April 2020

John Perry
AYRS Chairman

Postponed - AYRS South West UK meeting - Saturday 4th April 2020

Post by John Perry »

Following government guidance on 'social distancing', we have to postpone this meeting. We look forward to a time when we can announce a new date.

---------------------------------------------------------

Venue - Forder Community Hall, Forder, Nr. Saltash PL12 4QR

Important note: Public parking within the tiny hamlet of Forder is almost non-existent. To avoid taking up the few parking spaces that are needed by residents we recommend parking near St Stephen’s church or the Cecil Arms pub in Saltash (which is where we plan to gather later for supper) and then walk down the hill to Forder. Access to the Community Hall is on foot via a private lane down the west side of Forder Creek. For bringing heavy items to the Community Hall it is permissible to drive down this lane, there is space for a single vehicle to unload at the hall.

Forder is about a mile and a half south west from the centre of Saltash, just across the Tamar into Cornwall. Access from other parts of south west UK is likely to be via the A38 trunk road.

AYRS meetings are open to all, so do invite friends who may be interested.

We have the use of the hall from 12:30 through to 18:00. Outline program as follows, but don’t feel that you necessarily have to stay with us for the whole period. Attend for any part of the program or all of it.

13:00 Gather at the hall for sandwich lunch – bring your own sandwiches or whatever, we will provide tea, coffee etc.

14:00 We may take a short stroll in the vicinity of Forder – the hall is right on the waterside and there are nice footpaths through the local nature reserve and along the Lynher estuary. We will only include this activity if it is what those present would like to do at the time – the weather may influence this.

15:30 Light refreshments followed by chat about boating and/or more formal presentations – let me know if you would like to contribute – sailing holiday snaps, boat building / maintenance as well as actual yacht research are all good topics. We will have means to display digital photographs/video by USB but I don’t think the hall has WiFi. We would also like to include some discussion of future AYRS meetings in the West Country – if there is interest from local boat owning members we may be able to arrange an on-the-water gathering in the summer.

17:30 to 18:00 Move up the hill to the Cecil Arms pub for supper – let me know if you would like to join us for supper so that I can book a table for 18:30.

We will share the cost of the hall/tea/coffee but will limit this to maximum £5:00 per head.

For further information contact John Perry - 07484 668904 (M) 01752 863730 (L)
Attachments
Forder map.png
(119.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forder map.png
(119.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet

John Perry
AYRS Chairman

Re: Postponed - AYRS South West UK meeting - Saturday 4th April 2020

Post by John Perry »

We replaced the meeting proposed for the Forder Community Hall with a meeting using the Zoom system. I think this was the first time the AYRS has held an open meeting by video conferencing, who knows, in years to come we might look back on that as a little historic event!

Since our first meeting was a replacement for a local meeting the invitations were sent mainly to AYRS members in Devon and Cornwall. We had five attendees and several appologies for absense. We had no specific agenda for the meeting so we started by each saying a bit about our sailing interests. Jody Chapman gave us a 'design challenge' to make a Tee type hydrofoil that would allow the base of the Tee to be detached so that it would fold flat for stowage, this prompted some discussion. I then gave a demonstration of a gadget I made to remotely connect and disconnect a linkage between a tiller and an outboard motor - for this I might have done better to have the camera on a tripod - tts difficult to demonstarte a piece of hardware with one hand while holding a camera in the other hand.

We agree that we would like to meet again by Zoom so our next meeting will be on Saturday 11 April at 16:00. This time we will try having a more formal agenda and Kim Fisher has offered to give a presentation about the 'Rescue Float' that he and Chris Watson are developing with a view to it being used by beach lifegaurds. I think I will open this to the whole AYRS membership and will send out the invitations soon but if anyone reading this would like to join us and has not received an invitation let me know (this forum does have private messaging) and I can email the invite.

John