Speedweek Trials

AYRS Events and other announcements; also from related organisations.
Fredthecharlie
Established member

Speedweek Trials

Post by Fredthecharlie »

Norman Phillips has arranged for any one interested (Boats, Kitesurfers, Windsurfers or any other form of wind propelled craft to be able to test their equipment/ideas out at the Weymouth and Portland Sailing Academy during the period 14-18th May.

We might be able to hold an AYRS meeting on the Wednesday evening (17th) let us know if you would be interested in attending, we need to have a moderate attendance to make it worthwhile.

salvage
Committee Member

Re: Speedweek Trials

Post by salvage »

can you confirm that the speed trials week is 14 may to 18 may. I was uder the impression it was 6 may to the 12 may ?

is there anyone to ring as I am not a computer man

my number is 01453890791 ifany one wants to ring and confirm

salvage
Committee Member

Post by salvage »

is this still going ahead as I would like to attend

salvage
Committee Member

Post by salvage »

is this going ahead ?

John Perry
AYRS Chairman

Post by John Perry »

Salvage - Sorry if you did not get a response in time, although maybe you did by private message.

Yes, it did go ahead although with only a few people present. I went along for one day to see what was happening.

On the day I was there Fred tried for the first time a small simple wingsail that he has made. This wingsail was mounted on a very small catamaran, made by Fred a few years back. The weather was perfect for a first trial - blue sky and light breeze. The wingsail worked well, the speed being as good as one could really expect from that sail area on a boat with short waterline length and quite high displacement for its hull length. Being a symetrical single element aerofoil one could not expect a particularly high lift coefficient, possibly no better than a good cloth sail, but efficiency (i.e. lift to drag ratio) should be good, although that is of limited benefit given the relativly high drag hull platform. The sail was partially balanced so sheet loads were very light. With slack sheet the wing sail feathered to the wind and could be left unattended with no problems. Fred has made a large flat plywood box in which to store the wing sail and to transport it on a car roof rack. Storage when not in use is clearly a problem for larger wing sails. Mounting a large wingsail on a boat is also difficult - I remember the tower cranes that were needed when the AC World series race program came to Plymouth (UK) a few years back. Presumably the reason that New Zealand has moved to double skin 'cloth' mainsails rather than ridgid wings for the next Americas Cup.

Here is a picture of Fred's catamaran with wingsail - this was taken a few seconds after it was firts launched - its still in the sheltered water near the slipway. Once out into Portland harbour there was more wind and it moved along at a good clip for its size:
Attachments
18-5-14 Freds boat with wing sail (1).jpg
(46.29 KiB) Downloaded 848 times
18-5-14 Freds boat with wing sail (1).jpg
(46.29 KiB) Downloaded 848 times